ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION THROUGH BICYCLE SWINGING
The number of commuters is steadily increasing. Especially the big cities and conurbations like Berlin, Hamburg, Stuttgart or the Ruhr area suffer from the growing rush hour traffic. CO2 emissions are particularly high in the shorter inner-city routes. Over a distance of 10 kilometres, an average of 310 tonnes of CO2 emissions per year are generated per car. Current estimates assume that we could easily replace a total of 55 billion car kilometres per year with the wheel - an immense savings potential for climate and air quality.
CYCLING IS ACTIVE ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
Copenhagen is probably one of the most famous bicycle cities. The fact that bicycles account for a good 27 percent of traffic here is mainly due to the well-developed cycling infrastructure. The metropolis thus saves around 90,000 tons of CO2 per year. Even in Germany, where the bicycle currently accounts for only 11 percent of all means of transport, there is great potential for reducing the burden on the environment through daily cycling - and this goes far beyond pure CO2 savings:
- Less carbon dioxide: According to a study by the Federal Environment Agency, a total of 11 percent of CO2 emissions can be saved annually through more bicycle traffic in Germany. That is at least three million tonnes of carbon dioxide, which is harmful to the climate and health.
- Less particulate matter: Cycling reduces the amount of particulate matter currently caused by road traffic in Germany by about 30 percent. In some large cities, the figure is even over 50 percent. The concentration is quite high, especially at traffic lights - by the way, not only harmful for pedestrians, but also for the drivers themselves.
- Less noise: Bicycles and e-bikes are quiet and reduce the noise pollution caused by road traffic. Many people hardly perceive the permanent noise level as noise. But especially in Germany's cities, people and the environment are exposed to constant noise pollution, which often exceeds the guideline values for health and well-being.
- Less space required: Cycling saves space. As the volume of traffic increases, so does the need for space for flowing and stationary traffic. The streets are congested and there is not enough space everywhere for cars to stop and park. Bicycles, on the other hand, consume much less space. A single car park alone can accommodate a good 8 bicycles.
TIP: SUSTAINABLE E-CYCLING WITH GREEN ELECTRICITY
Electronically assisted wheels are sometimes criticized as unecological. But of course they are far below the energy consumption of a car, so that a changeover is definitely noticeable. In order to charge the battery for the electric drive as environmentally friendly as possible, switching to an eco-electricity supplier is the best step. If you have solar cells on your roof, you can charge your bicycle battery directly from the sun. Occasionally there are even already public solar filling stations for eBikes.
Here you can find suitable green electricity suppliers: LINK.
YOUR CONTRIBUTION TO THE ENVIRONMENT PAYS OFF IN SEVERAL WAYS
Environmental relief can only be achieved if many people switch to cycling. Especially on the shorter routes we have the potential in Germany to more than double the number of cyclists. The motivation of the individual is decisive for this. There are many reasons for the change, because as an eBike commuter you not only protect the environment, but also do a lot for yourself and your own well-being:
- Sustainable changeover: Especially with an eBike, the permanent changeover from commuting by car or train to cycling is made easier. You don't have to buy a new eBike or pedelec to do this, you can simply equip your bike with the Pendix retrofit kit.
- Healthier commute: Switching to electric cycling is good for your health. In our article "Healthier commuting" you can learn more about the positive effect.
- Stress-free commuting: Self-determined driving, no traffic jams, never again parking search - eBike commuters live stress-free. You can read about the effects of this in our article "Commuting without stress".
- CO2 and money savings: You can easily calculate how much money and CO2 you save by riding your bike.
IN DIRECT COMPARISON: THE COST OF CAR AND BICYCLE
Every means of transport costs money - and that on very different levels. The user has to pay for the purchase and the ongoing operating costs. A direct comparison shows how personal costs differ between bicycle and car commuting:
Electric bicycle usage costs
11.5 cents per kilometre driven
(with a value as new of 1,700.00 Euro, an annual mileage of 3600 km, a use over 8 years, with regular standard repairs and a rechargeable battery purchase)
THAT COSTS YOU A CHANGE TO COMMUTING WITH PENDIX
Before the costs are saved by the wheel oscillation, first the investment comes. But it's worth it in several ways: cycling with electric drive makes you happier, promotes health and ensures a stress-free journey to and from work!
depending on bike type and performance from 1,490.00 Euro
Costs for installation
75,00 - 150 Euro
Charging costs for a 300 Wh Akku
Ca. 0.3 kWh that is approx. 9 Cent (Naturstom 28.95 Cent per kWh) for 45 - 105 kilometers
Charging costs for a 500 Wh battery
Ca. 0.5 kWH that is approx. 15 Cent (natural electricity 28.95 Cent per kWh) for 69 - 160 kilometers
Ca. 50 Euro
Weatherproof clothing (wind/rain jacket, undercap, gloves, rain trousers)
Ca. 150 Euro
Ca. 80 Euro
Ca. 50 Euro